среда, 4 марта 2009 г.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005
Wake Up In The Morning, Feeling Shy and Lonely...

My best friend and I were talking tonight about all the crazy things in our lives. What I love about her is that she knows all my crazy stories and still calls me on a regular basis. It is a rare thing to have in life.

Kel and I have known each other since we were 14. She was there for all the bad high school hair-dos, crushes and drama. She has been an honorary sister to me (and daughter to my parents) since she played Beck in her bedroom and got kicked out of her house. She has gotten me through dating dry-spells, confusing guy situations and more than a few bad break-ups. As for me, I took her in after my 18th birthday (and after her parents had asked her to leave); I helped her packed her things as she set off to college in Davenport; I took her to Willow on Wagner for her 20th birthday and got her really drunk--fortuitous, since on her 21st birthday, she was pregnant with her daughter Maddie; I was there for her wedding (and sadly, her divorce). We share a love of the Cubs, Bears, U2, beers, corny 80s movies (Jake Ryan) and corny Junior High dramas like "Degrassi Junior High."

It was in the midst of us trying to talk out the most recent crisis to cross our paths when she said the following: "Side note -- do you have the Noggin channel?" That in and of itself was kind of strange. I told her that I did and she mentioned Degrassi Junior High was on it. I knew this. I had (I admit this is sad) seen some of the new episodes -- the ones where Snake is principle and Emma (Spike's daughter) is in Junior High. Oh, but there is so much more she said. They play the old ones. The ones that we used to watch. Really? Yep. She has them set to Tivo. And so with that, I went to Tivo and ordered a Season's Pass for Degrassi Junior High. I had instant gratification, since they have aired 2 episodes in the last 24 hours. You may think this is silly of me, but I learned about life from Degrassi.

Saved By the Bell was the fluff (well, except for the "Just Say No" episode and the one where Jesse "I'm So Excited" Spano is addicted to caffeine pills), Degrassi tackled the big issues. They talked about pregnancy and racism and drugs and friendships and sex and all the things that we faced when we were younger. I grew up with the kids in Degrassi. I wonder where they are now?!?


posted by Dea @ 8:15 PM

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий